About Us

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Leftovers are encouraged

Mommy Tip of the Day: To save time at dinner make a double batch of a meal and freeze half. Then you can just reheat it on another night when you need a quick dinner.



I am always looking for a quick way to get dinner on the table without calling Pizza Hut. One of my standards, for quick dinners are Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals. She is fun to watch and has some great food. I highly recommend that if you don't have one of her cookbooks....or several of her cookbooks that you head out and get one right away. At the very least you should really check out http://www.rachaelray.com/ where you can find some of her recipes and lots of kid friendly recipes.


Another one of my favorite ways to make a quick dinner is to eat leftovers. Now, I am the first person to admit to an aversion to left overs. Thankfully my Husband take care of the clean out the fridge meals on a fend for yourself nights. The left overs that I am talking about is to make a double batch of something and then freeze half of it for another night when I don't feel like cooking. All that I have to do then is reheat, and it is only a little more work to make a double batch the first night.

Some of the easiest meals to freeze are chili, and spaghetti sauce. Lasagna always makes SO much more than we can eat, that it really is best to make in 2 small batches that I freeze half. Since I am such a Rachael Ray fan, I love her mini chicken cannelloni bake . This recipe makes enough to feed an army. You don't even have to double it to have enough for 2 meals especially if add a green salad and some warm crusty bread.





2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea and time saver.

    Usually on Sunday nights I make a big batch of brown rice to use over the next few days. Some of it I use for breakfast, adding almond milk, dried fruit and nuts, some I use for an asian veggie stir fry and some for black bean burritos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to find such versatile foods. I never thought about rice for breakfast though. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete